Knitting bag, that is. I've been watching a lot of the Olympic coverage, and I'm trying to get a cardigan knit, but I haven't entered it as an official Ravellenic project since I had about 5" knit before I put it down several months ago. I suppose it could have qualified as a UFO project. It's Meier, the cover sweater from Melissa Wehrle's Metropolitan Knits, in Patons Classic Wool, worsted weight.
The last time I knit an Olympic sweater, it was Lopi and knit up faster, plus I didn't have the princess who won't let me knit on her watch. But it's coming along. I have the sleeves yet to knit, but I did the finishing on the body.
I made a couple of mods. I'm not as tall as a model, and I don't go in as much at the waist either. I'm long waisted for my height and short between waist and hip, so simply leaving out the last two decreases worked out fine for width and length below the waist. I had fewer increases to do to get back to full circumference, so I spaced them out with a couple of extra rows inbetween to be back to stitch count for the bust measurement I had chosen, and I knit to the stated total length to armhole for my size.
Then came the second mod. I have narrow shoulders for my "boobage", and set in sleeves rarely sit at the right place. I followed the pattern for the initial armhole shaping, then carried on the EOR decreases 3 more times to narrow the measurement between shoulders. I kept the neckline shaping the same at back and fronts, just remembering I had three stitches fewer, and then recalculated the three shoulder bindoffs for the number of stitches I had. I've tried on the sweater onblocked over a T-shirt and the armhole seemed to line up with the T-shirt seam much better than usual. I'm hoping that the little longer slant of my extra armhole decreases will not require mods on the sleeve cap itself. Knitting is stretchy and blockable, especially when the pattern includes allover eyelet holes, so I'm going to knit one sleeve and sew it in and see what happens. I don't really know what reshaping the sleeve cap would need. Anybody out there have experience or suggestions?
I may not make my Olympic deadline if I have problems with those sleeves. And I have another deadline, which is why I also have another project on the go. I've knit a little baby blanket, car seat/ stroller size, with matching hat, for my nephew and his partner who are expecting in April. I knit an extra four rows of texture on the long side borders to make the rectangle a better proportion.
I decided not to knit crib size because ... it's twins! So I have another one to knit too. I knew this quite a while ago and bought unisex colors of yarn, a print and turquoise and lime green coordinating solids, so I could start early. But I just got invited to a shower next weekend, so all of a sudden the deadline is six weeks earlier. I think the mom-to-be will understand if she gets one set now and a hat as a deposit on the second. I swear there will be two blankets for their carriers before baby girl and baby boy leave the hospital. My family are used to knitting IOU's.