The pastel pullover which was meant for spring may yet get some wear this chilly late summer before I turn to wool and fall colors. The knitting part is done, and it's just waiting for me to be in the mood to sew in the second sleeve and the side and underarm seam. The Berroco Weekend yarn is a nice worsted weight cotton and acrylic blend. It should be very comfortable to wear and practical to wash and dry. It is the yarn for which the pattern was designed.
The pattern, Plexus, is from Norah Gaughan #12. I made the ribbing a bit shorter based on the photo which made the sweater look tunic length. I was prepared to adjust the body length as well. However, as I followed the lace chart to the line where armhole shaping was to begin, I found that my row gauge was pretty accurate for once, the measurement was only the 1/2 " less from shortening the ribbing, and the length was what I wanted, not nearly as long as the sweater seemed in the picture. So far, so good.
Then I knit the first sleeve. I followed the pattern, spacing increases, and the length to underam was 7" as specified. But the sleeve ended above my elbow, not the length in the photo, and not the length I wanted. I ripped out the sleeve cap, measured my arm so the cuff would rest just below the elbow and added 3" straight knitting before reknitting the sleeve cap. But I'm still bothered about that photo. Since both the body and the sleeve appeared so much longer, I wonder if the sweater is going to droop that much with wear. I've always had more problems with wool stretching than cotton. We'll see what happens, but for now, I love this sweater.
My next project is tried and true. I'm reknitting my all-time favorite white cotton blend cardigan, ChicKnits Scoop du Jour. That was the sweater I was wearing in my first blog profile picture, back in 2006. When it got too worn and discolored to wear "out", I really missed it, but I never threw it out. That first one was knit from Patons Martinique, long discontinued. My new one will be made from Lion Brand Cotton Ease, which seems quite similar. I have my old pattern print out with row counts noted for each stage, and I'm going to use the same black and white buttons cut off the original sweater.
This is easy knitting, relaxing stockinette, and it shouldn't be long until I have my old friend back.